Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Finish for indoor and outdoor Cypress???

sailor wrote:
I am wondering what people who have finished Cypress, have used for a
stain or finish. I am planning on using Cypress for a bathroom vanity,
and some outdoor furniture.
Any suggestions? Please indicate if you have used the finish/stain
suggestion.
Thanks

I have used cypress indoors with a wipe-on oil stain followed by
several wiped-on coats of Waterlox. No complaints at all, and this is
a coffee table that often gets sweaty coke cans and such left on it.
Waterlox is good stuff.

I've built a good bit of outdoor furniture using cypress with only fair
long-term results. The cypress we get today is not the same stuff your
grandaddy used. He had access to old-growth heartwood which was quite
rot-resistant. What's being cut today is generally younger trees with
mostly sapwood. I think I'm switching to white oak for my next outdoor
furniture even though cypress is plentiful and cheap here. The chairs
I built ten years ago are too rotten to use another year. The rot
started at screw holes and joints where water got down into the wood,
or where water could get between the two pieces. I stained them with
Cabott opaque oil based deck stain. It doesn't form a film, it soaks
into the wood. I like it because even though it needs refreshing every
few years, it doesn't require any prep. Just paint another coat on.

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."