Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Immersion Heater

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
Hi

I need to check a 3kw x 27" immersion heater element to see if it's

working.
If I connect my multi meter across the terminals, what resistance

should I
find?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

IME immersion heaters tend to fail as the sheath gets punctured
usually due to a build up of calcium deposits, and the first signs are
not a change in resistance of the element, but rather an increase in
leakage current. Isolate both terminals of the element, check that
there is a lowish (10's of ohms) resistance between them, and also a
very high (megohms) resistance from the copper tank to the two
terminals. I have some flats where electric immersion heaters are the
only hot water source, and they don't last very long at all, even the
better ones intended for hard water regions.

AWEM

Andrew, Have you tried the ones with stainless steel jackets. They should be
a lot more resistant (to corrosion that is).

Regards

Bob