Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Immersion Heater

HI Dave

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:43:51 -0000, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Hi

I need to check a 3kw x 27" immersion heater element to see if it's working.
If I connect my multi meter across the terminals, what resistance should I
find?

Something lowish (in the region of tens of ohms) - but greater than a
short-circuit (zero resistance).

If you've got a failure then it's as likely to be the thermostat (can
be tested using the meter and 'tweaking' the dial until it opens or
closes - while disconnected from the mains supply, of course...

Alternatively - wire a mains lightbulb across the heater element and
reconnect the mains. If the lamp lights, but you don't get any heat
from the immersion then it's the element at fault...

Hope this helps
Adrian