Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveF SteveF is offline

Default Thin Wall

"GeorgeD" wrote in message
news:KiIsh.733$R65.552@trnddc01...
wrote:
I have a room which I would like to turn into a hallway and a room.
The problem is that if I stud out a wall the room, with the minimum
width hallway, will be just less than the magical six feet wide. Would
I be violating any codes if I made the wall out of a piece of 0.5 inch
CDX or OSB held in place by 1x3 molding at the the top and set into a
groove 3/4" deep routed into the floor at the bottom? I would then
panel both sides with the paneling edges staggering the CDX edges and
use surface mount electrical. I could even use tongue and groove
plywood.

Is there any proper way to make a THIN wall?

Thanks.

Room currently:
|-------------|
| |
| |
| |
| |
|-------------|

Room with hallway:
|-------------|
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
|-------------|

Mobile home walls are made with 2x2’s skinned on both sides with plywood.
The resulting wall is about 2” thick.

Walls a single plank thick (as you suggested) were used a long time ago
and are found in historical buildings. I think it would look OK; I don't
know how rigid it would be; noise would be a consideration. I would not
cut a groove in the floor. You could cut grooves 2x4’s and use them top
and bottom, although that seems unnecessarily complex.

You can make a wall out of strands beads; they were popular in the 60’s.
The walls are thin and you needn’t worry about doors and such.

If the space is inhabitable and you put up a wall, you will have to meet
code requirements such as electrical outlets every six feet. Also the
HVAC system and fire safety must be considered. It is simpler if the
space is storage like a closet.

Electrical outlets are not required every six feet. NEC section 210.52
requires that at no place on the wall will an outlet be more than six feet
away. For a long wall that requirement would be met with an outlet every 12
feet. Additional rules apply to short wall sections and kitchens.

Steve.