Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default Thin Wall

in buffalo ny: building codes are local to you. it depends on what the
permit or building inspector says for the use [r-1 or whatever] and
type of construction wood frame, brick, etc] of the address. don't
create any firetraps that an ambulance or rescue worker can't remove
you from on a gurney. both windows and doors of minimum sizes for rooms
are part of safe egress. you will get a faster and safer answer locally
on this project. it sounds like it will not meet your code question for
safe egress and passage between rooms. if this is a hallway to an exit,
put down your hammer. it becomes criminally worse than a building code
violation to block any exit door. i spoke to a building inspector about
unused stairwells once and he told me about one sad story about
attempted exiting during a tragic fire in the university district.
even doors to unused or even unsafe second floor outdoor porches must
get a building permit if they are to be converted or modified before
removal or conversion to a properly placed and sized window. the
altitude of the windowsill above ground level is relevant to the
emergency exiting of dropping from the second story in a fire, and
regulated by the code. it's surprising how helpful the permit office
can be to you the new permit applicant.

wrote:
I have a room which I would like to turn into a hallway and a room.
The problem is that if I stud out a wall the room, with the minimum
width hallway, will be just less than the magical six feet wide. Would
I be violating any codes if I made the wall out of a piece of 0.5 inch
CDX or OSB held in place by 1x3 molding at the the top and set into a
groove 3/4" deep routed into the floor at the bottom? I would then
panel both sides with the paneling edges staggering the CDX edges and
use surface mount electrical. I could even use tongue and groove
plywood.

Is there any proper way to make a THIN wall?

Thanks.

Room currently:
|-------------|
| |