Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Audiophile cappacitor replacement

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
Arfa Daily wrote:

I wouldn't dispute for one minute that changes to the interstage
coupling
electrolytics in a semiconductor amp, would result in any kind of
improvement that anyone could hear

Are you saying that electrolytics are or aren't audible ? I can't
figure that one.

Think what you like pal, I've grown utterly tired now of this thread,
and your tedious replies ...

Show me a capacitor ( other than those I've mentioned ) that distorts
will you !

You sound very gullible to me.

Please don't descend into trying to trade insults. As I said, believe
what you like.

It's not a question of believing. That's what the audiophools do.

I've actually gone to the trouble of measuring ! With Audio Precision test
gear that has a generator residual THD of 0.0007% ( -103dB ).

Not a single film capacitor of any type I've checked has any distortion
whatever. Nor would I expect any from first principles.

What's your experience in the matter ?

Did I actually say that any capacitor per se had distortion ?

You suggested so.

The problem is
that you have such a bee in your bonnet about this relatively minor point,
that you are either not listening to what I am saying or deliberately
misconstruing it in order to continue with this senseless lambasting.

Clearly there must be differences between different constructions of caps
from different manufacturers, otherwise, there wouldn't be different types
with the same value and voltage rating, and different price tags.

What's that got to do with it ?

The only real thing of concern is the dielectric and whether the plates are
metallised or foil ( for high current applications ) with a resultant effect on
ESR.

Some winding techniques reduce parasitic inductance but this isn't an issue at
audio frequencies.

You
wouldn't for instance use a cheapo cap intended for decoupling purposes, as
the timing element in an oscillator.

Define 'cheapo cap'. You might get a shock about the prices I pay for parts for
products in volume manufacture btw !

If you wanted it to last, you wouldn't
use a bog standard cheapo electrolytic in a switch mode power supply. But
there's my point.

Define 'cheapo cap again ! SMPSs require low ESR caps in the output filters -
it's nothing to do with being cheap or not. That's what's *needed*.

Manufacturers do - not because the designer wanted them
to, but because cost dictated it. This results in inferior performance of
the power supply over what the designer initially intended, and ultimate
failure.

Inferior ? If parts with the correct specs are used the only concern between
makes in this application is usually lifetime.

You may also be getting confused over what I am treating as 'distortion'. I
am including anything that not only makes a piece of equipment deviate from
the ideal, but also from what the designer intended. If *any* substituted
component on cost grounds causes any deviation from what the designer
originally measured on his development model with the components he used and
specified, then this under my definition, is distortion. It need not
necessarily result in mishaping of the output waveform in any way that would
normally be considered as distortion, which may or may not be audible, but
could include unwanted phase shifts or gain non-linearities.

Phase shifts are related to the *value* of a capacitor. All have a tolerance on
them regardless of price.

WTF is a 'gain non-linearity' in your book btw ? Why would a capacitor cause it
?

Graham