Posted to rec.woodworking
David Starr David Starr is offline

Default Pinewood Derby

Tom Watson wrote:

We happen to live in an area where about fifty percent of the parents
are engineers, of one sort or another.

When I looked at the degree of finish on their wheels and axles it
seemed to me that it was not something that could be accomplished by a
ten year old.

This year I'm getting my micron level abrasives out, that I use for
finishing solid surfaces to a gloss.

God help those engineer daddies.

You could always tell pinewood derby season had arrived at my old
engineering company. Lengthy (and sometimes heated) lunchtime
discussions of the best location for weights, effectiveness of
streamlining, wheel and axle lubrication, and some really science
fiction go fast ideas.
Come the great derby night. We had a large and active troop, and
EVERY kid showed up for the race. A huge track with electronic timers
was set up in the middle school gym. Throngs of excited scouts, hordes
of parents, ear shattering noise, and an infinite number of cars zipping
down the track. By 11 o'clock I was secretly hoping we would get
eliminated so I could go home to bed. No such luck, our car was quick
enough to place, the kid got a certificate and everything. Didn't get
home til 2 in the morning. Big night.

David Starr