Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Saving the planet

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 01:11:11 on
Sun, 21 Jan 2007, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
What you can do (and I have some DG patio doors, and about a third
of the other windows in my house like this) is make a double glazing
unit that has a traditional sheet of lead lights in between. This
has the added advantage that they are easier to clean, and it looks
good too!

That is actually a very good idea..like a triple glazed unit eh?

I suppose it has some of the characteristics of triple glazing, but
there's quite a small airgap between the inner or outer panes, and the
encapsulated leaded lights. What I don't know is whether that increases
or decreases the insulation factor.

Your recent posting regarding the relative irrelevance of DG as an
insulating device makes me feel happier about them than I was, so thanks
for that!

DG isn't so much irrelevant, as completely over-emphasised.

I am wholly in favour of it in new builds or upgrades, except where its
appearance simply won't cut the mustard.

Its the insistence that taking out perfectly good SG and replacing it
should be the *first* thing a homeowner does that gets my goat..whereas
damn thick curtains will achieve far more if the SG is draughtproof.
AND the total underemphasis on cavity wall insulation or dry lining
outer walls, and doing something about suspended wooden floors. Which
are, after the loft, and draughts, the dominant heat loss paths in older
houses.

Myl old hosuse had a convereted single rendred celcon block garage that
was converted by adding in 2" studs with rockwool and plasterboarding it
out. It wass one of the cosiest rooms in that house.