Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Duncan Wood Duncan Wood is offline

Default Saving the planet

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 09:55:36 -0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 01:11:11 on
Sun, 21 Jan 2007, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
What you can do (and I have some DG patio doors, and about a third
of the other windows in my house like this) is make a double glazing
unit that has a traditional sheet of lead lights in between. This has
the added advantage that they are easier to clean, and it looks good
too!

That is actually a very good idea..like a triple glazed unit eh?

I suppose it has some of the characteristics of triple glazing, but
there's quite a small airgap between the inner or outer panes, and the
encapsulated leaded lights. What I don't know is whether that increases
or decreases the insulation factor.

Your recent posting regarding the relative irrelevance of DG as an
insulating device makes me feel happier about them than I was, so thanks
for that!

Almost certainly increases it, less convection & two more surfaces ought
to outweigh the conductivity.