Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slow tree removal

peejos wrote:

I have a small copse of very tall trees and right in the middle is a
dead one. Cutting it down in sections will be pretty hairy so what are
your thoughts on burning it down? I have read that it is possible to
burn an old stump by drilling holes and filling them with sodium
chlorate weed killer, leaving it for a few months and then lighting it.
If I drill holes high up and do the same thing, the fire should then
burn what is above it. At least that's my theory: what do you think?
Paul

What a daft idea. Theres nothing difficult about cutting down tall
trees, just cut them part way though then use a rope from ground level
to snap the top section off. Rinse & repeat. Cutting them into 8' plus
a bit sections is just right for saw into useful sizes.

But dont undertake tree felling unless you understand what youre doing,
they dont call the branches widow makers for nothing.

NT