Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Michael Bulatovich Michael Bulatovich is offline

Default countertop suggestions

"JerseyMike" wrote in message

"M&S" wrote in message
link.net...
JerseyMike wrote:
i'm somewhere between 8-16 months from redoing the entire kitchen. i

don't
necessarily need to "break the bank" and go high end on everything, but

don't want formica countertops. the time frame on doing the kitchen

over
isn't a pressing situation where it has to be done ASAP but we've been

in
the house 14yrs and it's still origional, early '60's but w/ new

appliances
6 yrs ago. i'm looking for the best bang for my $$ on countertops
and

like the smooth look and feel of Corian and similar tops but looking
for

the
best of both worlds....good price, long life and durability to usage.

is
waiting on newer products advisable??? or are the products ouit there

now
the best to offer??

thanks for any tips and advice,

mike.........

Where you have 8 mos to a year and a half why dont you look into
polished concrete. You have plenty of time to even do a mock up in your
basement/garage and run some tests to see if you could do it yourself.
There are plenty of resources on the net and at the bookstore/library
about concrete countertops and with a modest investment in some fairly
basic tools you could have some great countertops AND some tools to put
in the garage when your done.

Just an idea,
Mark

this is why i posted this topic....i've been away from construction and
the
service end of home improvements for a while now and never heard of
concrete
counter tops. it could be an option if i liked the results.

I spec'd on in a custom house a couple of years ago, and depending on the
level of finish expected, it can require a very experienced artisan, like
the guy who did this one:

http://www.michaelbulatovich.ca/Pres...ton-powder.PDF

I haven't gotten around to taking some pix but it's quite pretty.

If rough, blotchy and stained is ok, then a DIY project it could be.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca