Posted to alt.home.repair
Reed Reed is offline

Default Ice in gutters

wrote:
Reed wrote:

With the Denver area undergoing an unusually long cold spell, ice has
built up fairly solid in the gutters, and on lower shingles, on the
north side of house. The south side does get just enough sun to have
melted OK. In 20 years in this house, this has not happened before.

Is there a best way to remove this ice before any damage is done,
particularly if it ever warms up again around here ??

The gutter and eaves are first floor, easily reachable with ladder on
ground.

--reed

As odd as it sounds go up the ladder and attack the ice with a good
load of road salt. It will melt the ice without causing any damage to
your shingles. People have been doing this around here for years.

OK, I'll try some tomorrow. I assume, like a car, it would be good to
rinse everything later with water when possible.