Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default What does the water company charge you for?

Jeff Wisnia writes:
Terry wrote:
My bill was 11$. It said my usage was 2 units. I know that is not
gallons.

Here in Winchester, Taxachusetts, a unit is a hundred cubic feet
(ccf), costing us us around $3.25/ccf at our household usage level of
about 10 ccf/month. (The rate escalates from $1.22/ccf to $4.94/ccf as
usage increases from 0 to 45 plus ccf per quarterly billing period.)

But, we also pay an egregious "sewer charge" based on water
consumption which ends up coming out to be about 10% MORE than what we
pay for the water.

That's the result of our town being one of forty communities whose
sewage had flowed into Boston Harbor for a couple of hundred
years. When the gummint began cleaning up the harbor and installing
new sewage treatment/disposal systems about 15 years ago, they started
whacking those forty towns real good, and I presume that'll probably
never stop in my lifetime.

Our town won't even allow you to install a second water meter for
irrigation use only and waive the sewer charge on it. So, I don't
treat our lawns to as much water as they really need, 'cause I get
just too annoyed when the water bill arrives.G

The only way to beat that sewage charge is to drill a well.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

You are lucky -- are Taxachusetts charge is $4.19/hcf for water and
$6.38/hcf for sewer (total of $10.57/hcf) if you use more than 20
hfc/quarter. And if you use more than 70 hcf/quarter you pay $5.03 for
water and $7.66 for sewer (total of $12.69/hcf).

You see here in the land of Kennedy and Kerry, even water is "taxed"
progressively.

In our town, you pay the sewer even when watering lawns. So, in the
summer when we exceed 70 hcf/quarter, we are paying 1.7 cents per
gallon.

In fact, I am seriously considering putting in a well (at least for
non-drinking consumption) even though we live in a near-city suburb
since I figure the payback will be less than 5 years.