Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256 Rich256 is offline

Default What does the water company charge you for?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Because a 'unit' is a much more useable measure for that much volume.
Much easier to look at a bill and see "oh, I used 3 units this month
instead of the usual 1' rather than seeing the volume in thousands of
gallons.

Same reason some items are measured/sold by 'hundred weight' or 'tons'
vice pounds.

Harry K

I guess I'm not a big fan of dumbing things down for certain types of
people.

Not so much dumbing down, but ease of reading/billing. My home meter
registers hundreds of gallons. Our meters at work read cubic feet. You
need less space to print out in hundreds rather than individual cubic feet.
Many items I buy are priced by the thousand, but most of these are items
that cost pennies and bought in large quantities or we'd be into four to six
decimal places.

My meter reads down to the gallon. Charged by the thousand. However,
there is a little pointed dial that turns about 20 times per gallon.
Very handy if you are trying to verify a leak.

It has a little round flat antenna mounted on the metal cover. The
meterreader reads the usage while driving by at 30 mph!