Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default countertop suggestions

In article , Karl S says...

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:02:25 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:

Raider Bill wrote:

I have been putting in ceramic tile counter tops in my rentals for
years. Never have had any problems. I have them in my house and will
never have anything else. You will have grout lines, things break if
dropped on them but they are beautiful, easy to do and cheap.

I hate tile counter tops. It looks dated, .....

Tile counter tops do look dated, but now that "everybody" has granite, it
won't be long before it (and stainless appliances for that matter) looks
dated, too, because.....once upper management finds that the cubicle
dwellers have them, they will have to find something new and more exclusive
for their kitchens....and everybody's quest for the newest and most
fashionable will start over again.

Hear hear. Unless you're fixing to sell (in which case why invest in granite),
that something looks "dated" is a dumb reason not to do something, if you really
like it otherwise. All this stainless-appliance/cherry cabinetry/dark
granite/wood floor/stainless hardware look in the kitchen is just gonna scream
2000-ought decade in just a few years. And it's gonna be "dated".

I went for granite for several reasons (I just plain love stone, the primary
reason), but tile is fairly practical if the grout is chosen right and is
sealed, and gives certain looks, like country or Spanish/Mexican that others
don't. Disadvantages like chipping, advantages like price and DIY friendly.
Don't pick a light grout. I picked chocolate brown grout in my terra-cotta
colored procelein kitchen floor tile and my beige bathroom floor has dark grey
grout. Seal it, wipe up spills right away for good measure, enjoy it, take a
vacation with what the granite would have cost if you're not really into the
granite.

If you like it, do it, but do what you can afford. Houses are for the living.

Banty