Posted to alt.building.construction,rec.woodworking
bent bent is offline

Default How to diagnose for cracks or condensation in 1/2" copper pipe

I can't believe this. I've got the entire basement insulated and vapor
barriered.... I'm nearly done refinishing all but the floor. I have both hot
and cold pipes wrapped in newly un-glued-edge styrofoam tubes, with package
taped over that joint lengthways, twisted with string over that, and used
rolls of electrical tape at every corner. I have so little clearance in the
2x4 it hurts, and did absolutely everything humanly possible so its
impossible for this to happen. I'm using that store bought insulation on a
plastic strip too, and cut up pieces and tucked and twisted up to both sides
of that 2x4" in any way possible. IOW If anybodys thinking of doing
this, put the insulation tube through the 2x4, and anything else.

Now what? If I hole saw into the wall (makes for an easy patch) I have
access to both sides. Silicon, or roof patch?

I'm guessing its condensation in winter. My tissue paper is dry. I have
yet to run any water. I guess I can safely say that this be from the cold
and only when the water runs through, enough to chill the pipe down. I
wonder whats going on inside the wall? Originally I thought this almost
impossible.

I wrapped the insulated pipes in a couple layers of thin aluminum sheet
snipped to 3" wide, and put a screw up through the center to a joist to
"wire it up" several feet away, no mistakes, no dissimilar metals.

from....
1/2" copper pipes [with] insulation....WET How do I diagnose if I have a
leak?