Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,uk.d-i-y
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Battery life of wireless doorbell

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:37:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Ziggy wrote:
What is the approximate battery life of the receiver of a wire free door
chime?

For the sake of argument, let's say the unit is used very little and the
receiver does not have a light.

{Here are some sample products from Argos http://tinyurl.com/2sb3r9}

Not having such a device, why would the *receiver* be battery powered
unless you live somewhere without mains electricity?

Bells/chimes here in the U.S. when hooked to main power in my
experience use a transformer to step power down to low voltage
12 or 24?). This obviates armoring the wires and makes wiring easier,
plus provides fatal shock protection for a hapless doorbell ringer
who might be standing on a wet welcome mat. Welcome - ZAPPP!
The wireless units are much easier to install, and can be located
anywhere with no connections but a couple nails or screws.
In my experience the battery for the button lasts a minimum of 2 years
and for the chimes even longer. The button takes an AAA and the
inside probably one or two C's.
I live near Chicago where winters are typically cold. The outside
button never gets wet as it is protected by a porch awning.
The bell/chime is little used, maybe averaging once a week.
I put this in about 10 years ago.
I wouldn't buy a unit that uses anything but common batteries.

--Vic