Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Noise in House electrical ?

wrote:
tc88 wrote:

I have this buzzing noise in my house electrical system.

I can hear it in a stereo I have in my Office and I bought my wife a
new clock radio for Christmas and that is up stairs in the bedroom and
it comes through that radio also. These are the only two things I hear
it in. It is a short buzz that last about a second and happens about
every 10-15 seconds.

Any body have an idea what it could be and how to get rid of it.

The house is a new house that is only 3 years old.

Thanks,

Is it only on the tuner section of the stereo? If so, it's likely RF
intereference. One common source of that type of pulsing is electrical
fencing used to keep animals in/out.

You could rule out everything in your house by turning off all the
breakers but one for the stereo and see if you still hear it. If so,
move the stereo to another circuit that was off, then repeat the test.
You could also see if you hear it on a battery opperated radio, which
would eliminate it coming via the AC line.

Hi,
AM or FM? FM is immune to pulse type noise. Any new appliance gone into
service? Or was it always like that? With potable radio move around the
house listening to the noise level, when near the source the noise
volume will increase. I'd start from the main breaker panel. It could be
as simple as loose connection or light dimmer. It could be coming from
outside your house too.