Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default What does the water company charge you for?

Having lived within 300 miles my whole life, I guess I'm am in fact not
familiar with other places water meters. Every place I've ever lived had
read out directly in gallons.

--
Steve Barker

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
"Steve Barker" wrote:

Ours is in gallons. Can't imagine why they would measure water in cubic
anything. Liquids are measured in gallons.

You need to get out a little more and expand your horizons. The quantity
being
measured has a great deal to do with the units of measure. For example,
time can
be measured in years, months, days, hours, minutes or seconds...

In the case of residential water, many water systems use "units". A common
conversion for residential water units is 100 cubic feet or 748 gallons.

To the OP who was billed for 2 units (presumably in a month), that equates
1498 gallons, or around 50 gallons a day. Pretty much the average per
person
usage in the US.