Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
[email protected] bigjim@backpacker.com is offline

Default countertop suggestions

The only downside to granite is that it's TOO hard. I've broken
glasses , dishes etc by just tapping them. The sealing is a non-issue-
Just spray and wipe!!!. Corian etc are nice in that specific colors
can be had where granite is close.

Todd H. wrote:
"Sacramento Dave" writes:

Most people that find the faults in Granite are basically to cheap to
buy it.

I think it's actually worse than that.

Granite is cheaper now (if you deal directly with a fabricator and not
a reseller, or oy...through the big boxes) than the synthetics because
the cost of freakin oil is so high, and of course the marketing and
corporate markup involved in having a material that has a brand
associated with it (and marketing folks inventing problems with
competing natural material to justify the extra cost).

$55/sf is what I paid, total, installed, old stuff removed for mine.
Even included a good quality, deep undermount stainless sink.

Corian and Silestone both are a good 40% more than that most places.
I just don't get the appeal of these, other than the granite being too
hard and capable of breaking dishes easier than synthetic surfaces.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/