Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Audiophile cappacitor replacement

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

All I said, that seems to have created the rather
vitriolic response from Graham, was that I genuinely believed that there
were measurable differences in the performance of "audio grade" caps over
bog standard types, and that there were people out there who had made
those tests.

You have to be joking !

It's done on the basis of the 'audiophool religion'.

It is worth pointing out that certain ceramic dielectrics have known
non-linearities
and these should be avoided in audio circuits and electrolytic caps have
to be used intelligently with regard to their limitations.

So isn't that just what I am saying ?

No. You don't appear to be aware of what the audiophools are claiming.

Besides, only a completely incompetent beginner would use Hi and medium K
ceramic dielectrics in audio signal circuits.

I really don't know quite where you
are coming from on this one Graham. You seem to be delibarately trying to
twist what I have clearly been saying, and trying to make me out to look
like some gullible amateur. And no, I am not joking. Are you honestly saying
that you believe there are no measurable differences in ANY parameters
between a mass produced tupp'ny cap, and a precision-made type specifically
made for a purpose ?

Precision makes no difference at all.

Do you think that the military are fools for specifying
"military grade" components over bog standards ?

For audio ? Yes. COMPLETELY.

And the audiophool stuff isn't even 'MIL spec' anyway.

Are the avionics industry
gullible prats for specifying the highest quality components in airborne
equipment ? No, of course they're not, and neither are the manufacturers of
high grade audio equipment over mass producers like Sony and company.

Their only interest is in aspects such as temperature range and long-term
failure rate.

More recently, COTS ( commercial off the shelf ) products have become popular
for aerospace often with *better* performance, which shows the lie about Mil
spec.

So lets get it clear once and for all. ALL I am saying is that I believe
that there ARE measurable differences between different quality examples of
what are fundamentally the same animal.

Quality ? Next to none and certainly nothing audible.

I believe this, because I have been
told that it's so by people that I personally consider to be reputable
experts in their field, and by 40 years worth of reading electronics
technical publications.

I think you're misunderstanding what you've read. I know of no audio
professional who believes in capacitor substitution where the orignal was
adequately specified. Certainly not for reasons of audibility.

If a piece of equipment has been designed to produce
minimum distortion with a component of a particular value and specification,
then the more accurately that component approaches that specification, the
closer the designer will come to his goal.

Show me a capacitor that distorts will you ? ( other than those I've mentioned
already ).

snip remainder of rant

Graham