Jim Stewart

Default Clark is correct

strabo wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 04:52:44 GMT, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Gary H. Lucas wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. cv.net...

"strabo" wrote in message
m...

Your posts in this thread imply that those who graduate from HS
today are brighter and better educated than in 1965.

I don't know if they're brighter; I doubt if there's any difference. As

for

"better educated," they have a better curriculum and better specific
content. Compared to the history books my son is using, for example, the
ones we used back in '65 were the Classic Comics version.

While no one here knows the academic achievements of your kid, he
is apparently not representative of the general population of
high schoolers.

The typical college graduate today knows less of the basics than
did the typical high school graduate of 1965.

I seriously doubt that, strabo. What's the basis of that assertion?

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

I suspect that kids today seem less smart simply because as WE get older our
accumulated knowledge that we compare to has gotten much greater.

"Kid, I've already forgotten more that you know! That's too bad, because it
means I've really forgotten a lot!"

The older I get the better I used to be.

I've had the opportunity to hire several high school kids
as materials handlers and engineering aids/interns. I've
been very impressed with their abilities. The engineering
intern has been very fast and sharp. The materials handlers
are more accurate than most of the adults we've used.

You discriminated in order to get the best available.
You didn't take a random sample.

My 17 year old daughter comes and gets me every night to
watch Jeopardy and she holds her own against her old man.
I have nothing bad to say about this generation of kids.

Either your daughter is a genius or your knowledge and
skills are lacking. You are the adult. You have the advantage
of time and experience. You're supposed to know considerably
more.

And your response questions your ability to recognize
and understand human intellegence.

My daughter has received, both from her parents and
from the public school system a very good education
of general knowledge. She consistantly beats her
dad on questions pertaining to art, Shakespere, Greek
mythology, and popular music. Things her dad either
never learned or forgot 30 years ago. Her dad dominates
in science, religion, wars and US history.

She also benefits from a quicker recall of facts than
her dad. Probably has to to with less facts to
search through.

As to my knowledge, here's the website of my company:
http://www.jkmicro.com

The J in JK is me. The K is my wife. I'm not
quite a genuis, but I've done well considering that
I'm one generation removed from poor white trash.