Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default What does the water company charge you for?

Terry wrote:
My bill was 11$. It said my usage was 2 units. I know that is not
gallons.

This thread is a hoot. I'm glad I live in a place
where the water company has enough sense to say
what the units of measurement are. If fact, I
would bet that most bills define the units of
measurement. In my case the units are CCF which is
defined at 100 cubic feet or 748 gallons. 2 month
usage is 11-12 CCF (1,100-1,200 cubic feet, you do
the math for gallons) when not irrigating.

Course the real problem is that the customer
charge (mainly billing) is as much as the actual
water charge (deliver costs plus maintenance). I
should be so lucky as to have a business that
charges as much to bill a customer as it does to
actually provide a service/product. In my region,
only the domestic water and irrigation water
companies do this. Apparently the electric
company, the gas company, and the sewer and trash
companies realize that billing (every month) costs
less per year than billing 6 times a year
(domestic water) or only once a year (irrigation).