Posted to misc.consumers.house
sylvan butler sylvan butler is offline

Default Generator 220v Twistlock - (2) 110v outlets

On 18 Jan 2007 17:48:05 -0800, satellite_chris wrote:
I am planning to install a power inlet box on the side of my house to
accept an L14-30 connection from my generator's twist lock receptacle

From there I would run a small piece of conduit from that input box to
a new electrical box on the opposite side of the wall in the house. I
plan to wire a separate duplex outlet to each leg of the 220 with all
the neutrals connected to the common neutral. This set of outlets
would obviously be in no way connected to the rest of the house's
wiring system and I would use a different color of outlets. Would this

Since the L14-30 is a 30amp system, if you use 20amp outlets on each
leg, you may draw 50% more power thru an outlet than it is designed to
handle. That isn't cool. You really need to bring the 30amp@220v into
a breaker panel and run multiple 15a or 20a circuits from that panel.

be up to code?

Probably not.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com