Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default countertop suggestions

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
Chris Friesen writes:

Steve B wrote:

Shop around and go granite. Do it once, do it right. Corian is too
soft, and knives cut it easily no matter what naysayers say.
Go the extra and get granite. You'll be glad you did.

Granite has its own downsides. It needs to be sealed so it doesn't
stain,

LOL--I love how folks bring this up (important though it is), but it's
listed as a downside, as though it's so hard to spray sealer down and
run a rag over it once every few months.

The reality is that it's as easy as dusting a wood table, and takes
about 45 seconds for the whole kitchen.

GRanite, pardon the pun rocks. Can't imagine having a synthetic
material in my kitchen instead, especially when really nice looking
granite can be had for 55/sf installed with haul away, edges, sink
cutout, etc included.

Best regards,
--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/

Can you believe the post about how his wife doesn't like seams? What,
Formica comes in endless sheets now with no seams?

Anyhoo, my point .........

Downsides to granite ...............

Yeah, you have to seal it every six to twelves months, amounts to wetting a
rag and wiping down the whole thing. But some people don't like doing that
just like they don't like taking a cleaner once a year and cleaning up all
the Jello and mustard and gravy that builds up.

It stains. Well, you could barf on mine, and with that pattern, you would
have to look for it. ;-) When we got it, I tested it with vinegar and
ketchup and mustard, and all sorts of things, and couldn't get it to
discolor. Now after two years old, we have yet to leave anything on it that
ever left a mark.

Jealousy. People come in and rave and rave about how beautiful it is. I
know they're just jealous. ;-)

Hey, people. Buy what you like. Buy junk and be doing the same job over in
five years, or live with a crappy unhealthy countertop. I would do granite
again in a second, and am looking forward to doing it in a remodel of a
house we just bought in Utah.

If you don't like granite, you've just never had it.

Steve