Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Telephone / Modem / Fax Plugs ?

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Yes - pretty well all phone line connected stuff these days only uses
two wires. Even if it rings. There doesn't seem to be a definite
standard for the pins used on these RJ11 connectors though when only
two are used - I've got a modem which uses different ones from a
cordless phone. Since it's basically the US telephone connector I
wonder why?

Indeed, kind of why I said "most common". Lovely thing about standards,
if you don't like one, choose another!

You do raise an interesting point however... perhaps the US socket
wiring uses both left pins as A, and both left pins as B or some such
arrangement. (don't think I have ever seen a RJ11 with only the left or
right hand side pins wired!)

Ah - that could explain it. I wondered if they had two lines to the same
point available in the US.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.