Posted to alt.home.repair
cmiles3 cmiles3 is offline

Default Foundation Cracked at Corners

Looks like spalling concrete caused by movement of the brick. Brick
swells and shrinks with moisture changes, and moves at a different rate
than concrete. As it moved, the concrete adhered to the bricks move
until it cracked.

Besides patching the concrete, you need to look at eliminating
excessive moisture conditions in the brick wall. Check for water
dripping/splashing on the brick from the eaves, blocked weepholes in
the bottom course of bricks, possible leaking pipe/drains in the wall,
or water puddling at the foundations. All bad, but fixable.

Tony Sivori wrote:
I'm looking for a house, and a few that I have looked at have cracks in
the corner of the concrete foundation. I've only seen it on houses that
have a basement.

Here's some links to photos of two of the houses:

worst one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49868737@N00/360644983/

same crack, different angle:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4986873...n/photostream/

two smaller ones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49868737@N00/360644990/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49868737@N00/360644994/

How bad is this? Can it be safely ignored? Is it worse if more than one
corner is cracked?

Or does it need repair? If so, what is involved? Just some drilling,
insert some rebar, and some concrete?

--
Tony Sivori