Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default How to make a recumbent stationary bike more portable

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:45:16 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:26:41 -0500, Tom The Great
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:45:47 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

Sorry to cross-post, but I'm hoping someone in one of these groups
might have an idea.

I just purchased a LifeCore recumbent stationary bike, model 900rb.
Here is the web page:

http://www.lifecorefitness.com/products.asp?id=2

Like most of these small home units, it has wheels built into the
front stabilizer bar. These wheels probably work on hard floors, but
they are way too small for carpet.

I would like to be able to move the bike between two adjacent rooms,
both of which are carpeted. There is also a low metal threshhold
between the rooms, so the wheels will need to be at least 3-4" in
diameter.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to do this.

My first thought was to build a cradle out of wood. The stabilizers
are tubes that are 25" long with a 3" diameter.

Start with a 2x6. The following are all end views:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Cut a channel for the axle:

XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Glue (screw?) a 1x6 on top to secure the axle (the "o"):

===============
XXXXXXXoXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Glue 45 degree shoulders to make the cradle:

X X
XXX XXX
XXXXX XXXXX
===============
XXXXXXXoXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Secure the cradle to the stablizer with straps or clamps. It will need
to be tight enough that the cradle won't slide around the tube.

Is this a poor solution?

Are there better ones?

Thanks

My kid got a scooter, a blue plastic board with four caster wheels.
There are examples he
http://www.fit-senior.com/acatalog/F...Games_462.html
I was eyeballing his scooter to use around teh house to move heavy
items. Maybe this is the simple solution you want.

Thanks for that link. I am afraid that the wheels might be too small.
Let me know if you try moving something that weighs over 100 lbs on
carpet.

I did a quick search for scooters, dollies, and carts, but didnl;t
turn up anything better.

I had to more a large computer hutch to paint walls. I found carpet
slide glides at Lowes. They are plastic/teflon disks that create a
low-friction surface on carpet. Cheap too. Might work here, but
guessing.....

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com