Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Curtis L. Russell Curtis L. Russell is offline

Default How to make a recumbent stationary bike more portable

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:31:03 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:11:51 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
.. .
Sorry to cross-post, but I'm hoping someone in one of these groups
might have an idea.

I just purchased a LifeCore recumbent stationary bike, model 900rb.
Here is the web page:

http://www.lifecorefitness.com/products.asp?id=2

Like most of these small home units, it has wheels built into the
front stabilizer bar. These wheels probably work on hard floors, but
they are way too small for carpet.

I would like to be able to move the bike between two adjacent rooms,
both of which are carpeted. There is also a low metal threshhold
between the rooms, so the wheels will need to be at least 3-4" in
diameter.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to do this.

You just need to make the built in wheels bigger somehow.

Wrap them with tape?
Take them off and mold resin around them?
Cut an "expander" out of very thick rubber and superglue it on?
Make an expander out of multiple layers of plywood, and
epoxy it on? Wrap the outside with duct or plumbers tape.

The built-in wheels are just that -- built in. The opening wouldn't
take a wheel more than maybe .25" larger.

Looking at the picture, I thought they were the round "pads" at
the ends of the front supports. I've seen other equipment that way.

Bob

Look about half way down this page:
http://www.servicecaster.com/bassick.htm

There is a caster that comes with a sleeve. If (big if) the bike
support is strong enough and won't gall and work loose from the
sleeve, you can drill and insert one at each corner. There are
variations of these, but this is an example. We did something like
this with a pipe-based support base on furniture in a jail. It also
needed a snap lock/clip to hold the sleeve in place, but that was easy
to get.

People convert things like this all the time, so if you call a
supplier, they should be able to get you the best solution. The other
big if is what you are willing to pay. Quality casters begin around $
100 for a set of 4. Cheaper and they're soft metal that will fold
aound the caster insert.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...