Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Telephone / Modem / Fax Plugs ?

Owain wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
There doesn't seem to be a definite standard for the pins used on
these RJ11 connectors though when only two are used - I've got a
modem which uses different ones from a cordless phone. Since it's
basically the US telephone connector I wonder why?

Because the UK line is on 2 and 5, or the outer wires of a flat 4-wire
cord5, and the US line is on 3 and 4, or the inner wires.

Owain

Indeed. I've got several BT to RJ11 cables - and some (which came with
phones) have BT 2 & 5 connected to RJ11 2 & 5, whereas others (which came
with modems) have BT 2 & 5 connected to RJ11 3 & 4. I'm not sure which
variety you would expect to find on a fax machine.
--
Cheers,
Roger