Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Telephone / Modem / Fax Plugs ?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The most common layour seems to be the two central pins on the RJ11
connected to the two either side of the central pins (i.e. pins 2 and 5,
where often 1 and 6 are not fitted) on the BT plug.

Yes - pretty well all phone line connected stuff these days only uses two
wires. Even if it rings.
There doesn't seem to be a definite standard for the pins used on these
RJ11 connectors though when only two are used - I've got a modem which
uses different ones from a cordless phone. Since it's basically the US
telephone connector I wonder why?

Indeed, kind of why I said "most common". Lovely thing about standards,
if you don't like one, choose another!

You do raise an interesting point however... perhaps the US socket
wiring uses both left pins as A, and both left pins as B or some such
arrangement. (don't think I have ever seen a RJ11 with only the left or
right hand side pins wired!)

--
Cheers,

John.