Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default 1.7kW Storage heater plugged into ring main?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

After serious thinking Roger Mills wrote :
However, it will cost considerably more to run - since it is using
electricity at peak price rather than off-peak price.

Er, well no.

The entire system switches over to off-peak, or rather just the meter
does. Two dials in the meter which record off-peak and peak
consumption the times of which are defined by a time clock, therefore
any consumption during off-peak periods will be charged at off-peak
rates.

If that is truly the case, it doesn't matter *how* it's connected - but the
OP mentioned having a separate off-peak fuse board so I assumed (seemingly
wrongly) that there was a separate meter and a timer which only made the
off-peak part live for the designated seven hours.

My f-i-l's bungalow certainly used to be like that. Maybe the OP has got
what used to be called a "White Meter"?
--
Cheers,
Roger