Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Telephone / Modem / Fax Plugs ?

In article , John
Rumm wrote:
the_constructor wrote:

Although there are 6 wires in the machine lead, only 4 of them are
used, now one would have thought that it was just a case of using the
4 wires in my lead and connecting to the centre 4 wires of the
machine lead. WRONG !

In fact you will probably find only two of them are used...

The most common layour seems to be the two central pins on the RJ11
connected to the two either side of the central pins (i.e. pins 2 and 5,
where often 1 and 6 are not fitted) on the BT plug.

Yes - pretty well all phone line connected stuff these days only uses two
wires. Even if it rings.
There doesn't seem to be a definite standard for the pins used on these
RJ11 connectors though when only two are used - I've got a modem which
uses different ones from a cordless phone. Since it's basically the US
telephone connector I wonder why?

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.