Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Ryobi ETS-1525SC Table Saw

On 2007-01-19 16:14:22 +0000, Cod Roe said:

Does anyone have any experiences on this new addition to their range
for for light use:

http://www.ryobitools.co.uk/files/06...?productID=288

I would like to use it for some long rips in shaping window ledges etc,
but also I like the idea of the sliding carriage for square and angled
cross cutting. With the carriage I think I might be able to get away
without a mitre saw. The rip fence looks quite poor in that it only
clamps at one end, but since it is only for light work I can always add
my G-clamps in appropriate places.

Comments anyone?

Thanks.

Unfortunately this type and level of saw is very limited in
application. I have taken a look at this particular model but in
general, this class of saw is a disappointment.

You could get reasonable rip cuts on relatively small pieces provided
that you are willing to check squareness and straightness for every new
cut setting and clamp the far end as you suggest.

The saw does not have a sliding carriage in the generally accepted use
of the term.

That would be something like the slider on this machine

http://tinyurl.com/2gjmd8

On the Ryobi one, really this is nothing more than something to be able
to claim a feature. The extension tables on this type of machine are
on quite thin rods which are not properly supported and there is no
means to automatically square the extension table to the blade. The
slider feature is then a rather small mitre gauge allowed to slide back
and forth. It isn't large enough or substantial enough to give
accurate and repeatable mitre cuts - the whole thing is too flimsy.

If you want to have something mainly to cut mitres, a compound mitre
saw or sliding compound mitre saw is a better choice.

If you want to have a portable table saw of this sort of size then
something like the DeWalt 744, Makita 2704 or Bosch GTS10 have much
better rip fences. However, you are at around a £500 price point with
these. Unless portability is an issue, for similar money or not a lot
more you can have an entry level but much more substantial workshop
tablesaw.