Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default protected tree falls on listed building

mogga wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:10:25 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

From local paper. 75 foot lime tree, subject to a preservation order,
falls on 1870s listed building. Is this conservation gone mad?

only if they leave it where it is.

Sadly, if the listed tree was on private property it is the
responsibility of the owner, who can be held liable for any damage. If
sued they would have to prove in the court of law that it was not due to
neglect on their part. I had three (now 2 left) limes with TPOs, what I
do every couple of years is apply to the council to have them removed as
I think they are unsafe. They send someone along who pronounce them
sound, I keep the letter, problem solved cost free.