Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Pashley David Pashley is offline

Default Getting a new boiler fitted (quickly)? / the conclusion

David Pashley wrote:
Hi,

As a follow on from my earlier "faulty boiler" post, we are now in the
worst possible situation, as we have no heating or HW, a small baby in
the house, and so need a new boiler quickly.

We just had a local firm out who have quoted £2,000. Now I can obtain
a Vaillant EcotecPlus 831 boiler for under £950 including flue kit and
VAT, so basically it's £1,000 for fitting.

I think that's a ripoff, but I'm beginning to run out of options.

What do the experts here think is a reasonable charge for replacing a
floor-mounted boiler with a wall mounted unit nearby?

So, what happened in the end is that we had a number of quotes from
local firms, all in the £1,000 for boiler plus £1,000 to £1,500 plus
VAT range for fitting. Despite the amount they were hoping to charge,
none of them could turn up when they said they would, provide a quote
by when they said they would, or show any glimmer of reliability.

But we got used to the lack of heat and water, and were able to look
around for a better solution without being panicked into paying this
sum; as I have already made clear, £1,000 (plus profit on sourcing the
boiler) is not an amount I am comfortable paying.

Eventually, an acquaintance of a relative kindly came along on
Wednesday and fitted for £300 + VAT (excluding electrics, TRVs, and
making good of old boiler flue hole) a Worcester 30cdi that I bought
for £850 + VAT from a local supplier.

Don't get me wrong, I quietly admire those of you that are pleased to
be making £1,500 a day fitting boilers (£300k per year, not bad!). I
just feel bad for those of your customers who can't really afford to
keep you in Ferraris. ;-)