Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default The hot tap is on the left

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-01-18 21:44:14 +0000, "ironer" said:

zaax wrote:
It's not in the regs., and as far I can see it's worldwide

I can confirm (from a sample of many hundred hotels) that hot on the
left or in the left
direction with a mixer faucet is pretty much universal.

It's always been my understanding that it is favoured by hoteliers
because most people are right handed & thus less likely to turn on the
energy consuming hot tap at their first 'need water' impulse.

They have a number of games like this.

Another common one is asking customers to re-use towels because of the
environmental impact of washing detergents.

I have a difficult time believing that that is their true motivation.

The most irritating are those with a card operated switch near the door
where one needs
to insert a card to operate the electricity. This again is sold on an
eco basis.

I wouldn't mind were it not for the poor implementations. Many of them
turn off all the power
in the room immediately the card is removed. These are the ones where
generally only the room
key card works - a business card doesn't do it. It isn't helpful
suddenly being plunged into darkness.
The more acceptable have a timer that cuts the power about a minute
after the card is removed.

However, again they excel when the card switch turns off *all* power in
the room.
I wouldn't mind if it were just the lights, but I would like to charge
my notebook, PDA, iPod, iPhone etc.

Gadget man!