Posted to sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com .p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com is offline

Default High Efficiency gas furnace - return air temperature

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 05:59:45 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:
The unit in question is Goodman GMV9509050XBA gas furnace (95% eff.,
90,000 BTU.)
It says in the Installation Instructions (page 7, Location Requirements
& Considerations) that the following must be observed:

"The temperature of the return air entering the furnace is between 55F
and 100F when the furnace is heating."

I am curious why the 55F requirement. I mean, when I'm not in the
house, I would like to set the temp as low as possible in order to save
on my heating bill. I think I could otherwise set it as low as 45-50F
and still keep the water pipes from freezing. But I wonder why I'm not
supposed to go below 55F. What could happen? Could the unit get damaged
and why?

Thanks

P.S. I'm in the Denver, CO area - 5,300 ft altitude, if that matters.

Hi,
I am just guessing. If return air temp. is to low it may not produce
warm enough air. Air is passing thru the heat exchanger at constant
speed and think law of physics.

Blow me.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/