Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default I want to build a woodturning lathe

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:41:55 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

Is a ShopSmith lathe the chicken or the egg? Maybe the SS lathe is just
a disc sander that's left its table and shown its tail and isn't a drill
press at all. aaarrrgh!

I wonder if any of you have ever built a _second_ lathe? I've completed
a kit of castings and I've upgraded or converted a few wood lathes from
surplus or used manufactured parts and pillow blocks, but I've made
only one from scratch and that never again.

Arch-

Care to share any advice on the process? I've just finished my
crucible for melting the material for my metal working lathe, and the
time to start making it is fast approching- even with a book to refer
to, it's always nice to know where the sticking points are likely to
be.