Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default IR Thermometer uses

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thought a brake was hanging up. Got out, and dig the laser aimed
IR thermometer out of my tool box. Go around and check the temps
of the brakes, to find the one running hot.

Other use -- read a thermostat on top of the motor. Find what
temp the thermostat maintains.

ayup, they are very nice when you have a car with an uncalibrated
temperature gauge. Turns out 3/4 scale on a '55 Studebaker converted to
12V with the gauges running off a 6V "Runtz" voltage dropper (probably
not a configuration the factory anticipated G) is about 180 degrees -
a little warm for the stock 160 degree thermostat, but not so bad for a
'63 Avanti engine with a factory 170 degree 'stat, actually running a
180 stat because you can't get a 170 anymore.

Had I not had the IR thermometer, I might have ASSumed that I had an
overheating problem when in fact it was a gauge calibration issue.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel