Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Electric HWH tripped off. ???

Roy Starrin wrote:
I have an 8 year-old Bradford White 50-gallon electric HWH that
stopped functioning. Since it had a 6 year warranty, I figured it had
simply outlived its useful life,...........................

..
Just because something is a couple of years beyond its guarantee it
shouldn't be considered worn out?

Also it would appear that the OP is not familiar with an overheat
switch; which are common in quite a few appliances! (Clothes dryers,
microwaves, etc.)

Also it sounds as though no follow up maintenance (i.e. flushing out of
sludge) has been done on a six year old hot water tank installation!
About time!

No wonder we become a 'throw away society'!

As others point out something caused that overheat switch to trip,
maybe low water level? A thermostat that is old or sticking so that
temperature overshot? Or the bi-metallic overheat itself is a little
tired?

Even a complete new thermostat with overheat is not expensive
especially compared to having the whole tank replaced.