Posted to alt.home.repair
Borrall Wonnell Borrall Wonnell is offline

Default Basement (concrete) subfloor options

Hi all,

OP here. Surprisingly, the DRIcore system is available at several
retailers in my location, which is (sort of) good news for me. It
seems good for drainage/height, but doesn't appear to have much
insulation value. I don't think it supports a floor covering like
hardwood, so I would likely require an OSB/plywood covering on top of
the DRIcore (long staples, etc.)

My basement is pretty cold, so I have been avoiding DRIcore as an
option despite the advantages. It sells for about $8 (CDN) for a 2'x2'
piece. FWIW, I believe that another company sells a liner system
similar to the DRIcore base. I forget the name of said company.

Any opinions on placing extruded polystyrene (R5/inch) directly on the
concrete floor? That's essentially what I originally asked about.

Cheers,
Dave

wrote:
I believe the product you saw at HD was this:

http://www.dricore.com

I used it to help finish a room in a walkout basement and it worked
great. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, but here are the advantages I
found:

Small, each piece is only 2' x2', trimming around posts, doors,
closets, etc is much easier.

Portable, I was able to fit an entire rooms worth (50?) of pieces
inside my car.

Easy to handle, one person can do it all. Sure one can handle
4'x8' sheets of plywood by yourself, but it's a pain.

I got mine at Menards (upper Midwest HD wanna be). It's on sale right
now for $4.58 with a $50 giftcard if you spend over $500!

Good luck!