Posted to rec.woodworking
professorpaul professorpaul is offline

Default Attaching a Top to a Desk

If you glue it, it is going to be a one way trip. I recently built a
new workbench in my garage. Stability was a major concern, so I glued
(used construction adhesive -- "Liquid Nails) and screwed the plywood
top to the frame. I pre-drilled about 6 of the screws first, clamping
things to hold alignment. Took screws out, put on glue, then
re-attached top where the screws were, and added more screws to pull
the joints together. Frame was 2"x3", and top was two pieces 3/8" 2' x
8' plywood. Once first piece was set on, used construction adhesive to
put on 2nd piece, which was likewise screwed down to the first piece.
Sucker is not going to come apart unless I use a sledge hammer and
chain saw...