jim rozen

Default New tooling for an old lathe

In article , Greg Menke says...

I either got a great deal or what I paid for, depending on the ways
and the feeds. Its a gamble, we'll see how it turns out on Saturday.
From the photos it still looks good. Theres a road-trip to Plaza
Machinery coming up in a month or two, maybe I'll find some fun stuff
up there. btw; how heavy is a 10L?

Even if the ways are badly worn those machines can still be
a workhorse. They're heavy enough that if you need to move
them very far at your end you should consider dismantling
into pieces.

At the dealer you can probably get them to load with a fork
truck. I moved mine in on a trailer, it had been spiked to
some 4X4s and placed on the trailer with a fork truck. At
my end we simply upended the trailer and slid it off. I
dismanted at this point to take it down the cellar stairs.

Those machines came in three flavors, the older ones with the
cast iron base, and legs on the tailstock end. Then they
had the semi-circular pipe leg ones, and then the most recent
sheet metal cabinet ones.

If this is a cast iron base one, you the motor base is very,
very heavy. Don't try to move these by yourself without
taking them apart, and even then don't try to move the base
by itself, alone.

Jim

please reply to: