Greg Menke

Default New tooling for an old lathe

"ATP" writes:

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Greg Menke says...

I recently scored a decent SB heavy 10, complete but no tooling. I'm
probably going to spring for a reasonable set of used stuff, maybe a
KRF omnipost as well. On a couple occasions I've read of new chucks
being trued on the lathe on which they'll be used, I was wondering at
what skill levels or for which applications the need for chucks set
up like that starts to become apparent.

Also, if anyone has hints/tricks that might be of help while I'm
cleaning off the crud and tightening it up, I'd really appreciate it.

Backplates for chucks are often skim-cut on the machine they
will be used for. There should be zero runout on a backplate,
if there is, a quick skim cut will fix it right up.

The 10L is one of the best small lathes because it will accept
5C tooling. Get a collet setup for your machine and start
hunting for good used hardinge 5C collets.

Best of luck on your new toy!

Jim

I saw a nice 10L with a short bed go for 500 today, including a quick collet
drawbar. I picked up 4 or 5 hardinge collets for $10.

I either got a great deal or what I paid for, depending on the ways
and the feeds. Its a gamble, we'll see how it turns out on Saturday.
From the photos it still looks good. Theres a road-trip to Plaza
Machinery coming up in a month or two, maybe I'll find some fun stuff
up there. btw; how heavy is a 10L?

Gregm