Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] robert@invalid.invalid is offline

Default Low energy light bulbs - comparison

The amount of energy saved I don't think is worth the effort just in
the context of lamp use, especially when mechanics and light
suitability are also taken into account, and in comparison with other
energy saving measures, it's really not worth bothering.

IMHO the energy saved is over stated, in the UK for at least 6 months
of the year the energy "wasted" goes towards heating the house , okay
its expensive but not totaly wasted.

I have to yet to find any figures for total life energy comparisons
between standard tungsten and low-energy bulbs. LE bulbs must take
more energy to manufacture (and dispose of), it may not be significant
but I would like to see the figures.

I've not been a big fan of the LE bulbs in the past but as I am
installing new lights at present in a largish house I was pleasantly
surprised at the number and quality of design of LE light fittings now
available . Worthwhile for hall and landing lights at least.
Robert