Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Low energy light bulbs - comparison

On 2007-01-18 11:08:20 +0000, Kaiser Sose said:

I am one such person. Unless lights are to be switched on for hours at a
time (such as my outside driveway lights) I think these energy saving
light bulbs are a waste of time and money when used inside the home.

They're horrible things and do not give the same light as a normal bulb,
despite what all the so called experts (aka marketing people) say.

If the light is only on for a an hour or so, (and often three minutes
when you use the bog) the energy saving is minuscule - 40w or something?
All the savings you'd get over a year or so are the equivalent of not
having one or two baths. A paltry amount. Cut the central heating down a
degree, stop using hairdryers so much etc, I am all for that. For a tiny
few watts here and there for light bulbs? Waste of time.

Absolutely agree. This is just a sop for people to think that they
are doing something, done as a diversion from the real issues that
actually do make a difference but which are considered to be too hard.

My 2c, not to offend anyone elses opinions of course.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Opinions are like ani.
Everybody has one.