Posted to alt.home.repair
the sagacious dolt the sagacious dolt is offline

Default water heater question

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...
| the sagacious dolt wrote:
| I had a new water heater installed and the instructions call for a
drain
| under the TPR valve tube.
| The plumber who installed the water heater did not install a drain.
|
| My question is:
| Do I have to rip up the concrete floor to put in a drain or can I
just
| stick a plastic bucket under there to catch the water.
|
| thanks
| the sagacious dolt
|

| The proper "complete solution" is to put an overflow pan under the
| heater and the bottom end of the pipe running down from the TP valve.
| The drain from the pan is connected through hose or piping to a real
| drain or a point outside the building.

WHAT IF MY HOUSE DRAIN IS 3 FEET HIGHER THAN MY WATER HEATER?

| That way, whether it's the TP valve opening or the tank rusting out
and
| leaking, the water will be safely carried away.

MY PLUMBER PUT THE WATER HEATER ON 2X4 PT SLEEPERS.

| Those overflow pans (plastic) are quite cheap, and very good
insurance.

HOW DO I GET THE PLASTIC PAN UNDER THOSE 2X4'S?
OR SHOULD IT GO ON TOP OF THE 2X4 SLEEPERS?

thanks
the sagacious dolt