Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Low energy light bulbs - comparison

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:35:20 GMT someone who may be Harry Bloomfield
wrote this:-

On/off type of use is a killer for discharge type lights

That was the case. However, things have moved on and it is not as
great a factor as it once was.

and they do
not achieve the full light output until a time after you would normally
be turning it off again.

Ditto.

I once saw the calculations for the short period use of a
fluorescent light versus an equivalent output filament lamp

Presumably you are talking about linear tubes, rather then compact
fluorescents. What sort of control gear?. I have seen such
calculations too, but such calculations in 1966 would be different
to those in 2006.

Before installing these types of energy saving lamps and flourescents,
I make a decision as to whether the extra expense is worth while for
the type of use the room receives.

For the sake of argument I won't challenge your "extra expense"
assertion here. Do you think you are the only person who makes such
decisions? Do you think that others might reach different decisions,
or are your decisions the only ones that can be made?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh