Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Saving the planet

wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Alex Selby wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If you are installing new windows, apart from a severe attack of
aesthetics, there is no reason NOT to install DG, the opportunity cost
is low enough.

I was really coming at this from the point of someone who might be
(genuinely) concerned about energy, and cost benefit on heating, and
pointing out that received wisdom is largely driven by DG marketing and
lack of hard information.

Yup. I never was actually talking about installing SG from new..you only
do that - as we did - out of an attack of aesthetics. Double glazing
cannot be incorporated into lead lights and applied 'glazing bars' looks
crap. So almost certainly your SG units will be more expensive, cos they
are hand made specials.

I think there is some confusion here btween dg and upvc. The listed
problems apply to upvc, but no such issues apply to dg. Leaded windows
can be dg no problem,

They cannot. Not true lead lights anyway. The frit sealing in DG panels
is about three times as wide as the lead glazing. and a 15mm wide panle
looks silly anyway in a leaded light. The only recourse is to apply fake
glazing bars, and they either look really odd from inside, or outside,
or if applied both sized, at an angle.

and oak dg does not have the butt ugly factor of
upvc.

Oak with DG is lovely, if the style suits..but as I say, if you want
real leads, DG is out.

NT